Instructor: Pastor Sylver Estrao
The purpose of this course is to gain a survey of the Bible, learn how it is organized, study books and topics, correctly interpret the Bible, and use Bible study aids. At the end of this course, the student will have a general knowledge of the whole Bible and a working knowledge of how to study and correctly apply the Bible to everyday life.
When you complete this course, you will be able to:
1. List five unique characteristics of the Bible.
2. State the overall truth of the Bible.
3. Explain how the Old Testament is organized.
4. Explain how the New Testament is organized.
5. Explain how we got our English Bible.
6. List five blessings of studying the Bible.
7. List four heart attitudes necessary to understand the Bible.
8. List six methods for effectively reading the Bible.
9. Explain the four steps to meditating in the Bible.
10. Explain how to study a book in the Bible.
11. Explain how to study a topic in the Bible.
12. List five principles for correctly interpreting the Bible.
13. Explain the five most common types of figurative statements in the Bible.
14. List six of the most common Bible study aids.
15. Write in memory the passages: 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Timothy 2:15; 2 Peter 1:21; Isaiah 40:8; Psalm 19:7-11and Psalm 119:9-11.
As a result of applying the truths learned in this course, you may recognize certain changes taking place in your attitudes. You will:
1. Have greater trust in the Bible as the Word of God.
2. Have greater appreciation that the Bible is available to study in English.
3. Have greater recognition of the importance of studying God’s Word.
4. Have a greater desire to study God’s Word.
5. Be more confident that you can properly understand the Bible.
As you apply the truths of this course to your life, you will be changed. Some of the changes you should expect are:
1. You will spend at least 15 minutes of daily devotion. A devotion log is required.
2. You will read the Bible all the way through with joy.
3. You will memorize the required Scripture verses.
4. You will change the way you spend your time to have more time spent meditating in the Bible.
5. Your thoughts will be more on God’s Word and less on worldly pursuits.